Iranian Protest Continues ...

I've been having trouble sleeping at night ever since the protests started in Iran. But this isn't about me, this is much bigger than me ... recently many of my friends and acquaintances have been asking me what is going on in Iran? What's the scoop? What's really going on? They made me realize that many people in the world, whether it be the media, foreign governments or average people, they don't know or understand what's happening. And there is so much misinformation out there right now that it's easy for people to get confused but more importantly to be mislead.

Like so many other Iranians that had to leave Iran, I feel that I have a responsibility towards my people and my country. Iranians from all over the world are watching the events unfold from their homes feeling helpless, frustrated, angry, and yet so proud of our fellow countrymen back home. We wish there was something more we could do to help them, but for many of us going back home isn't an option. However, it's not only Iranians, the international community has come out in substantial support to end the violence on the streets of Iran.

But this raises the ultimate question: What can people outside of Iran do to help?
Obviously showing your support is the first step, but for many this isn't enough when faced with the horrifying images of all our brothers and sisters who gave up their lives in the name of justice and who continue to do so every day.

Neda may have become a symbol of the violence in Iran, but we must not forget that she's not the only one who lost her life. So I urge the community to continue supporting Iran so that all that have fallen so far didn't do so in vain.

0 comments: